I have completed the first draft itinerary for the winter trip south:
* [30 Dec 2008] New York, USA
* [30 Dec 2008 - 31 Dec 2008] Santiago, Chile
* [31 Dec 2008 - 01 Jan 2009] Punta Arenas, Chile
* [01 Jan 2009 - 03 Jan 2009] Ushuaia, Argentina
* [03 Jan 2009 - 04 Jan 2009] Punta Arenas, Chile
* [04 Jan 2009 - 05 Jan 2009] Puerto Natales, Chile
* [05 Jan 2009 - 13 Jan 2009] Parque Nacional Torres Del Paine, Chile
* [13 Jan 2009] Puerto Natales, Chile
* [13 Jan 2009 - 14 Jan 2009] El Calafate, Argentina
* [16 Jan 2009 - 18 Jan 2009] Buenos Aires, Argentina
* [18 Jan 2009] New York, USA
Because I have to be back by the 19th of January, I may have to polish it a little. The return from Buenos Aires may be a bit risky, as the bus ride from El Calafate to Buenos Aires is a good 44 hours ride across the pampas, and you just never know what can happen in such a long stretch.
That could mean that the 133km trek of the Paine Circuit may be cut to 6 days instead of 8. I have the option of just doing the lower half of the circuit in 3-4 days, but then I will miss the glacier views of the John Garner pass...no no no!
Can't do that! I'll walk faster!!...
Other things to consider are the holidays as I will be traveling during New Year...oh well..it is still just a draft
On the bright side, I got the transportation cost down, and it seems quite affordable:
Punta Arenas -> Ushuaia: USD$22.00 (OW) 11 hours = USD$44.00
Punta Arenas -> Puerto Natales: USD$4.00 (OW) 3 hours = USD$4.00
Puerto Natales -> Torres del Paine: USD$8.00 (OW) 3 hours = USD$16.00
Puerto Natales -> El Calafate: USD$15.00 (OW) 5 hours = USD$15.00
El Calafate -> Buenos Aires: USD$46.00 (OW) 44 hours = USD$46.00
Total: USD$125.00 !!!
The ticket from NY to Punta Arenas, and Buenos Aires to NY should be covered with the milleage...I hope...If so, this will be a darn cheap trip as I will just stay in hostels and camping throught out the circuit!
First Draft completed.